Starting on August 14, for the first time since the pandemic struck 2+ years ago, UCO is pleased to again be serving our clients indoors, and will again be providing them with respite off of the streets.
Urban Community Outreach’s Drop In Center is a community center for homeless people and the working poor in downtown Long Beach. It provides hot, nutritious meals, access to the internet via a computer lab and serves as a haven from the weather and the harsh conditions of the streets on Sunday afternoons.
Open every Sunday of the year (except the first weekend in December and all Sundays in July).
Sunday Volunteer Schedule
Our Volunteer Day starts at 9:00 AM. Join us for a couple of hours or stay for the day or at least the afternoon.
9:00am – 1:00pm Meal Prep
1:00pm – 3:00pm Serving our clients
2:00pm – 4:00pm Clean up
Please note that all volunteers must agree to the following guildines:
- To protect the safety of our clients, all volunteers must show proof of COVID-19 vaccination, and all volunteers must wear a facemask properly, covering both the mouth and nose.
- Anyone volunteering to help us serve our clients during the 1pm shift must attend an orientation meeting at the start of the session.
- No open-toed shoes.
- Volunteers with long hair must have their hair pulled back.
- Children under 14 must be accompanied by an adult.
- To sign-up for groups of five or more, please sign up directly with Cherry Bush at email@example.com.
We are located at 241 Cedar Avenue, Long Beach, CA 90802.
Entry is through the steel mesh doors on Cedar Avenue. Once you are in the courtyard, enter the dining hall on the left. A coordinator or kitchen staff member will help you get started.
Generally speaking, parking meters near the Drop-in Center are free on Sunday, but please check each individual area, the parking meters are enforced on some major streets like Pacific and Pine Avenues.
We often have specific needs for items, such as men’s clothing. See our wish list for the latest needs we can use help with. Monetary donations are also welcome.
Thank you for volunteering with Urban Community Outreach!
Here are some of our wonderful volunteers in action: