Urban Community Outreach – Mission Statement
To advance the interests and promote the welfare of the economically disenfranchised and homeless people in Long Beach by offering a welcoming environment to provide respite, nutrition, opportunity, and hope.
UCO seeks to fulfill its mission in several ways. On Sundays from 1:30-4:30, we provide a community center in downtown Long Beach for homeless people, the working poor and others in need. On Sundays we serve hot meals and we also provide:
- Computer Lab provides access to the internet to find work, write resumes, do school work, find family or just surf the web. An eight-workstation computer lab and volunteer IT specialist is available for anyone who may need assistance with learning new computer skills (as time allows) in order to broaden their job opportunities.
- Document Preservation Project offers an innovative solution for homeless people to scan and “back up” their important personal papers which often get lost, stolen or destroyed by the weather. We can send them to each person’s private e-mail account. Lost information can then be recovered at any time.
- Volunteer Doctor and Nurses come once a month. These dedicated medical professionals monitor blood pressure, blood sugar and help with wound care. They provide information to our guests and address questions about depression, addiction issues and many other health concerns.
- Supplies are provided including clothing (on the 4th Sunday of the Month), food, hygiene kits, and other donated items that are helpful to survive the hardship of living in the parks and on the streets.
- Consultation with Outreach Workers: guests have the opportunity to talk with our staff to explain their particular needs and to be connected with resources needed to improve their situation. UCO Staff keep in touch during the week to help clients with support, referrals to Multi-Service Center, Mental Health America and other organizations, temporary housing, transportation, and finding ways to help them stabilize their lives.
Our Wish List:
** Please note: clothing donations should only be brought to the Drop In Center on 4th Sundays between 8:30am and 1:00 pm. Thank you.
- Personal Care Items: brushes/combs, wipes, swabs, men’s and women’s hygiene products, band aids, antibiotic cream, first aid items
- Toiletries: Soaps, shampoo, toothpaste, vaseline, lotions, tooth brushes, razors, lip balm
- Specific Clothing Items: Belts – large belts are hard to find, shoes and socks – all sizes, sweat pants, sweaters, sweatshirts, work pants (jeans and khaki’s) – all sizes
- Important Miscellaneous Items: Books (hardback and paperback), blankets, small rolls of toilet paper, suitcases with wheels, pull top canned foods for handing out, and monetary donations to support the work of UCO.